Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Getting Ready for Thanksgiving

First let us wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. Tomorrow we should all take a moment to think about what we are thankful for. My thoughts are a little bit different since we have been here. We are both very thankful for the opportunity to be able to do what we are doing. I think we have really taken CARE to heart. Some of the folks you can't help but love. I hope to have some pictures soon to introduce some of them to all of you.
Some of us lady volunteers have been very busy getting ready to give everyone a nice day. Jan and Lorna have made a bunch of pies, and roasted turkeys and hams. Today I peeled about 35 pounds of potatoes. That's only about half of what we will need. We have about 20 pies now. Some of the residents have furnished some. I'll make candies sweet potatoes, we'll also have plain for our diabetics. Lots of folks are bringing a dish to share. On holidays it's nice to have a favorite. Makes it almost feel like home. Someone is bringing rutabaga. Tom will be happy. You should see all the stuffing that was made today! All that was going on while I peeled those potatoes. Took me a while! It looks like we will have somewhere around 90 people to feed. The biggest they have ever had here. That includes family guests and board members. I'm really happy to be part of this. I miss cooking for family.
I almost forgot. Today I also cooked 77 hamburgers. That was dinner. Our main meal is at noon. With trying to get tomorrows dinner ready, and getting the regular meals together, we all chipped in to help. The week-day cook, Miss Terry, (every lady is Miss here), was helping all over the kitchen. I kind of just got stuck in front of the grill, with a big bowl of hamburger, and started to make them. The next thing I know, Miss Terry says to me, "Count them as you go. We have to have 75." Well, the big bowl made 77. Very proud of myself I am. I cooked 77 hamburgers.
As you can see, I have had a very busy day. Tomorrow looks to be even busier. I know at home the ladies of the church were having a pumpkin roll sale. I had shown them how to make them before we left in June. They have told me they had lots of orders. I hope all went well. Ladies....I have been busy, too. Just not making pumpkin roll.
Well, I hope you all get to have a good meal tomorrow, and to all of our friends and family we will be thinking of you all.

No comments: